On 5/19/15, Arno Schuring <aelschur...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> kernel loads and starts doing things for 7 seconds.
> [..]
>
> Note that you can add break=premount to the kernel cmdline
> to force an initramfs shell, then use sh -x /scripts/$phase/$script
> to manually step through the initramfs procedure.
>
> You can use "grep maybe_break /usr/share/initramfs-tools/init" to
> check the valid break= values, and their order.

stepping sounds like a great way to debug, but i'm out of my depth.  i
don't know what premount is (is that a phase?  a script?  something
else?), or what initrd does (all i know is it's a ramdisk and has a
fake root fs for some reason).  i will of course be happy to try this,
but i won't know what scripts to run, in what order, or what the
results will mean.

> Does the partition exist, or does the /dev/disk/by-uuid/...
> symlink exist? The error message clearly indicates it's looking
> for a /dev/disk/by-uuid symlink, so the presence of /dev/sda3 is
> not enough.

the symlink exists (confirmed by ls).  the partition exists (confirmed
by successfully running cryptsetup luksOpen).

> Also, can you verify that /conf/conf.d/cryptroot exists
> in the initramfs and contains the correct line?

instead of rebooting to determine this and trying to transcribe it, is
it ok to extract the initrd as it is on disk?  i did so and got this:
"target=toshiba-root,source=UUID="...",key=none,rootdev" (where "..."
is the correct uuid according to blkid for /dev/sda3, which is the
partition on which encrypted root resides).

does that seem correct?

>> in fact, in the initrd busybox shell, i can do cryptsetup
>> luksOpen /dev/sda3 toshiba-root.  i do not know how or where
>> to mount it, however.  mounting it on / not work.
>
> You need to mount it (readonly) on /root. Then exit the initramfs shell
> and the boot should continue normally.

on /root, as in the superuser's home dir for dot files etc.?

> Hope this helps,

it does.  thank you for replying.

i'm totally ignorant about grub, initrd, booting, etc. but willing to
learn what i need to in order to be able to get my toshiba drive to
boot.