On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 03:28:26PM +0200, Sven Arvidsson wrote:

> Probably something changed the console font, or you didn't
> have console-setup installed before.

Console-setup was already installed. The problem arose exactly
simultaneously with my installing the firmware-linux
metapackage. 'dpkg -r'ing the firmware-linux-free and -nonfree
packages fixed the problem.

Thank you for your suggestion:

> dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

After using the above, and rebooting, whatever changes the above
made did not appear to "take" i.e. the teeny tiny console font
always reappeared. It was this tenacity that inspired my
reckless, but successful, use of 'dpkg -r.'

Thank you so much, though, for responding to my plea for help!

--
Bob Bernstein