On Sun, 24 May 2015 07:07:29 -0500
Mark Allums <m...@allums.top> wrote:

> On 05/24/2015 04:50 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:

> >> root@persephone:~# lsmod | grep snd
> >> snd_hda_codec_hdmi     49263  1
> >> snd_hda_codec_realtek    63196  1
> >> snd_hda_codec_generic    63045  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
> >> snd_hda_intel          26387  5
> >> snd_hda_controller     26938  1 snd_hda_intel
> >> snd_hda_codec         108525  5
> >> snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_controller
> >> snd_hwdep              17244  1 snd_hda_codec
> >> snd_pcm_oss            49005  0
> >> snd_mixer_oss          21998  1 snd_pcm_oss
> >> snd_pcm                88901  5
> >> snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_controller
> >> snd_timer              26614  1 snd_pcm
> >> snd                    69340  20
> >> snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_pcm_oss,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_pcm,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_mixer_oss
> >> soundcore              13031  2 snd,snd_hda_codec
> > So, it depends on snd, snd-pcm, snd-hda-codec, snd-hda-controller
> > (if I didn't miss any). The first entry is the name of the module,
> > the second is the size, third is number of modules that are
> > dependent on it, and the rest are a list of dependent modules. Try
> > to add the ones I listed (I'm not sure about the order, but
> > probably the order I listed them in) before the line that loads
> > snd-hda-intel.
> Nope. still nothing.  #tail -f /var/log/kern.log, this last try, had
> a line after the modprobe that was disturbing, but I still got sound:
>
> May 24 06:50:43 persephone kernel: [  265.501340] sound hdaudioC1D0:
> hda-codec: out of range cmd 0:5:707:ffffffbf

I'm not sure what this means, but a quick search leads me to believe it
is Mostly Harmless. If sound works I guess I would ignore it.

> Contents of sound.conf in /etc/modules-load.d:
>
> snd
> snd-pcm
> snd-hda-codec
> snd-hda-controller
> snd-hda-intel

Looks good to me.

> I didn't quite follow how you parsed the lsmod dependencies.

Take a look here:

petter@monster:/etc$ lsmod | head
Module                  Size  Used by
nls_utf8               16384  0
ufs                    77824  0
qnx4                   16384  0
hfsplus               106496  0
hfs                    57344  0
minix                  36864  0
ntfs                  102400  0
msdos                  20480  0
jfs                   188416  0

The first row is the name of the kernel module. As you can see, the
second is size, and in this example there is nothing under "Used by"
except zeroes. The zero means that no other modules depend on this one.
If there had been dependent modules, this row would list the number of
dependants, and then a complete list of them.

You can then use this information to track which modules are needed for
a specific module to load. Like this:

Module                  Size  Used by
snd_timer              32768  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq

This means that there are two modules that depend on snd-timer -
snd-pcm and snd-seq. snd-timer then have to be loaded first before
either of those can be loaded. You can then backtrack through the lsmod
output to see what other modules snd-timer depend on (by grep'ing for
it), for instance, and thus see the entire chain of modules that are
required for any specific module to function.

All of this should be handled automatically, but there are occasions
when a module needs to be force-loaded.

Is that any clearer? I can't explain it any better in English, and I
expect an explanation in Norwegian wouldn't help you very much :)

In regards to your problem, I really don't know why snd-hda-intel won't
load automatically for you. It might have to do with recognition of
your hardware, that it isn't probed correctly or something. The easy
solution is probably to just add "modprobe snd-hda-intel"
to /etc/rc.local and leave it at that.

If you really want to follow up on it, you would need to grab the
details of your sound hardware from lspci and do a few web searches. If
nothing comes up, then file a bug report.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"