On Jun 1, 2015, at 5:56 PM, Jose Martinez <jomartinez...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
> I'm about to be blessed with several old PC computers.  By old I mean that
> some of them will not even have CDROM drives on them.  I will probably tear
> them all down, mix-and-match parts and make the best system(s) I can from
> those parts.  This is something I've done before, so the technical aspects
> are not a problem.  I expect to use the resulting system(s) solely for "play"
> purposes to experiment with and delve into the depths of the system
> programming primarily for educational purposes.  If any of you remember
> Scotty from the original Star Trek series and how he spent his off/vacation
> time pouring over tech manuals and playing with gadgets, well that's me!
>
> The question is, will jessie install and run on these old systems? If not,
> can I still get a debian distro that will?  I expect that the processors on
> at least one of them will be at least i386 or better, so I also expect that
> jessie will install and run, but that my main problem will be with drivers
> for the legacy peripherals.
>
> I just can't find it within me to throw out what is, other than being old, a
> good usable computer system.
>
> I appreciate any information y'all can send my way.

Welcome to the club, Jose!   I do the same sort of thing for old Macintosh
PowerPC machines.  It’s actually kind of fun… (for certain definitions of “fun”
 <-: )

You may find a distro targeted at so called “embedded” computers that will run
on your hardware.  Do a Google search for “debian linux embedded x86”.   That
seems to have some useful pointers.

Top of the list is “emdebian”.  The Emdebian page says:

> Embedded_Debian
>
> Change of status
> As of July 2014, Emdebian Grip stopped receiving updates to the unstable-grip
> distribution. Updates to the jessie-grip suite stopped some months before
> that. The last stable release of Emdebian Grip was 3.1 based on Debian
> GNU/Linux 7.1 Wheezy.
> There will be no further updates of Emdebian Grip.
> This information is retained for historical purposes but can be removed when
> wheezy is finally removed from the Debian mirrors (which will happen at some
> point before the next stable release after Debian Jessie 8.0).

So you can at least get a version of Wheezy that might work on your hardware.
Jessie looks to be not in the cards.  I guess porting Systemd to minimal
hardware was just too hard…  )-:

A little further down the list is Voyage Linux, which is a Debian derivative.
I’ve used Voyage.  Some of the things they do to make it fit in a very small
footprint are quite creative!  I learned a lot when I was doing that work.

Good luck, and have lots of fun!

Rick