On 11-6-2015 7:13, Bret Busby wrote:
On 11/06/2015, Ric Moore <wayward4...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 06/10/2015 03:45 PM, Bret Busby wrote:
On 11/06/2015, Nick T. <n...@ncktsp.com> wrote:
Oops, forgot to cc in the mailing list.

- Nick

On 06/10/2015 09:19 PM, Nick T. wrote:
Install build-essential it should contain all the packages necessary
to install the driver.
Also you might want to install dkms if you don't want to reinstall the
driver after every kernel update.

- Nick

Thank you for that.

The driver installation appears to have subsequently succeeded.

However, after rebooting, the system still does not see the external
monitor (using System -> Preferences -> Monitors), and
I don't think that will work. Try using nvidia-settings.

As I had said, xwindows now no longer works on the system.

What do I need to do, at the command line level, to get xwindows
operable on the system?

In the circumstances, it appears to be a congiuration or settings issue.

Or, despite the information on the nvidia web site, perhaps the driver
simply does not work with Debian 6.

I note that the gcc version issues showed that the gcc version
applicable to the driver, appeared to be an earlier version (4.3, I
think) than the installed version when I installed gcc (4.4, I think)
(but the discrepancy appeared to have been overcome in the procedure
that I followed), indicating (I believe) that Debian 6 should not be a
version to early for thenvidia driver.

It might be that you need to generate an Xorg.conf file from scratch. Make sure to backup any existing configuration file first (/etc/X11/xorg.conf). You can generate one using the nvidia-xconfig package: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Configuration
- Matthijs