On 16 June 2015 at 21:40, Sven Joachim <svenj...@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2015-06-16 21:41 +0200, Bob Proulx wrote:
>
> > Michael Fothergill wrote:
> >>     (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> >
> > Note that it will log errors with EE at the front.  This is where the
> > errors start:
> >
> >> [    15.104] (II) [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.
>
> Was this log file generated while booting in recovery mode?

​You are correct.  I was booting in recovery mode as root.​

> Then it's
> expected, otherwise there is a problem.
>
> >> [    15.105] (II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> >> [    15.105]     compiled for 1.17.1, module version = 1.0.0
> >> [    15.105]     ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 19.0
> >> [    15.105] (II) VESA(0): initializing int10
> >> [    15.105] (EE) VESA(0): Cannot read int vect
> >> [    15.105] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
> >> [    15.105] (II) UnloadSubModule: "int10"
> >> [    15.105] (II) Unloading int10
> >> [    15.105] (II) UnloadSubModule: "vbe"
> >> [    15.105] (II) Unloading vbe
> >> [    15.105] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
> >
> > "Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration."  I have many
> > times seen and dreaded that message.
> >
> > I can't decode the above into the root cause of the problem.
> > Hopefully someone else will be able to do so.  Does anyone else on
> > this list have any hints here?

> I'm afraid this bug makes the vesa driver currently unusable. :-(
>
> > I fear the problem is the newer Linux KMS and DRM interfaces which
> > obsoleted a lot of hardware.  I have been hit by that problem myself.
> > Whereas older kernels worked perfectly supporting the hardware newer
> > kernels have dropped support and broken my systems.
>
> Please report this as bugs, the kernel is not supposed to obsolete
> hardware which people still have.

​I am using a Kaveri box - it is a new architecture and this could be a
problem.​

> > I suggest booting one of the previous kernels and seeing if that
> > helps.
>
> Ahem, the Xorg.0.log file shows that Micheal was booting an old and
> unsupported 3.14 kernel, so this can already be ruled out.
>
> > If not then try the newest kernel available, possibly a
> > backports kernel.  If not then I suggest trying to boot with the
> > kernel command line option "nomodeset" and see if it improves things.
>
> Booting in recovery mode already implies "nomodeset", and the Xorg.0.log
> file shows a complaint from the radeon module that KMS is not supported.
>
> > Plus any better hints that others might supply.
>
> Seeing an Xorg.0.log file from a normal boot would be good, plus the
> complete dmesg output.

​If I try to do a normal boot then the OS tries to fire up Xorg and fails
and I just get a blank screen with a cursor.

ctrl C etc does not seem to drop down a command line interface etc.

​The only booting that seems to work properly is the recovery boot as root.​

​

> Cheers,
>        Sven

​Thanks MF​