On 19/06/2015, Bret Busby <bret.bu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If you read the top of my previous post you would have seen the
>>> full path to that file.
>>>

>> Sorry - I had read the whole of the post, and had tried to respond to
>> it in modularised progressive steps, and when I got down to that part,
>> I had forgotten the content of the first paragraph.
>>
>> See below for Ubuntu 12.04
>>

> I have attached a copy of the file from  the Debian 6 installation.

I have attached a copy of the file from the Debian 6 installation on
the Acer 5750G with (I believe) an inboard Intel HD device in addition
to the nvidia geforce gt520m device.

The lshw command output on the Acer 5750G, running Debian 6, includes

"
 *-pci
          product: Sandy Bridge DRAM Controller
          vendor: Intel Corporation
          physical id: 100
          bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
          version: 09
          width: 32 bits
          clock: 33MHz
        *-pci:0
             product: Sandy Bridge PCI Express Root Port
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1
             bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
             version: 09
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pci pm msi pciexpress normal_decode
bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=pcieport
             resources: irq:24 ioport:2000(size=4096)
memory:d0000000-d10fffff ioport:a0000000(size=301989888)
           *-display UNCLAIMED
                product: nVidia Corporation
                vendor: nVidia Corporation
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                version: a1
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller cap_list
                configuration: latency=0
                resources: memory:d0000000-d0ffffff
memory:a0000000-afffffff(prefetchable)
memory:b0000000-b1ffffff(prefetchable) ioport:2000(size=128)
memory:d1000000-d107ffff(prefetchable)
        *-display UNCLAIMED
             product: Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
             version: 09
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list
             configuration: latency=0
             resources: memory:d1400000-d17fffff
memory:c0000000-cfffffff(prefetchable) ioport:3000(size=64)
"

Now, maybe the "Sandy Bridge" thing is not the inboard Intel HD thing
that I had believed to be present, but, to me, it appears that Debian
6, on the Acer 5750G, drives the Intel device, that successfully
drives the external monitor, but cannot properly drive the Intel
device on the Acer V3-772G, so as to drive the external monitor.

So, it may be that it is notsomuch an issue with nvidia devices, but,
rather, a matter as to whether Debian can properly drive the intel
graphics controller on the Acer V3-772G.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."