Ralph Katz wrote on 06/20/2015 21:26:
> Jessie, xfce, iceweasel preferred browser, icedove preferred mail
> reader, Icedove fails to open mailto: links and iceweasel's Email Link
> with the following error:
>
> Icedove error message window, titled Close Icedove:
> Icedove is already running, but is not responding. To open a new
> window, you must first close the existing Icedove process, or restart
> your system.
>
> One instance of icedove is running.
>
> This problem began several years ago with a thunderbird upgrade, and
> it may come from an unknown legacy prefs setting or whatever that has
> me stumped.  I've since dropped thunderbird for the icedove version.
>
> Any suggestions for running this down?
>
> Thanks,
> Ralph

This happens sometimes. In that case an icedove process is still running without
GUI. Check with, e.g.,

$ pidof icedove

(if your are alone on your computer). If said command returns a process id, then
terminate it with

$ kill $(pidof icedove)

and to make sure

$ kill -9 $(pidof icedove)

Now, a new icedove session can be started.
By the way, same goes for iceweasel.
--
Regards,
jvp.