On Tue, 23 Jun 2015, Mark Allums wrote:
> On 06/23/2015 11:45 AM, Don Armstrong wrote:
> >But that said, if you've found [a boot order bug] please file a bug
> >with enough details to reproduce it.
>
> This happens a lot. Reproducing the problem is hard to do when it
> randomly crops up every 10th boot or so (yes, I need to reboot a lot).

When it happens, provide the boot logs (using a serial console will
help), your fstab, and as much of a description of the problem as you
can.

I personally haven't seen such a problem recently, but then again, my
setup is not your setup.

> > Sound problems of what kind?
>
> I too have sound problems. Mainly no sound on startup, problem started
> during switch to systemd.

Just on startup? And it starts working once you've logged in? Or it
doesn't work at all? How is your sound configured? Are you using
pulseaudio or just straight alsa? Which soundcards do you have? What are
the output levels?

These are all the kinds of questions that should be answered when filing
a bug.

> >In any event, please file the bugs if you'd like them fixed. Otherwise,
> >no one will know about them and/or fix them.
>
> How do we file bugs that are so difficult to reproduce?

You file them the same way as you do any other bug.

However, because it's a hard bug to reproduce, you need to provide as
much information as you can initially, and try to keep providing more
information as you see the problem again or try new iterations.

Being responsive to the requests of package maintainers to provide more
information is also very important.

Above all else, be accurate with the information you provide. If you're
not sure, say so; if you're eliding information to protect your privacy,
be explicit about it.

We cast this message into the cosmos. [...] We are trying to survive
our time so we may live into yours. We hope some day, having solved
the problems we face, to join a community of Galactic Civilizations.
This record represents our hope and our determination and our goodwill
in a vast and awesome universe.
 -- Jimmy Carter on the Voyager Golden Record