On 06/26/2015 01:55 PM, Nick T. wrote:
On 06/26/2015 12:55 PM, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
well and good until you find yourself in the situation
this very thread is about: your root filesystem is broken and you
can only log in as root. Then you need your root password.

Ubuntu and debian can boot into recovery mode from the grub menu, from there it asks for the root password IF there is one, if not it just gives you a root shell.

- Nick
Not the case. Even in rescue mode I needed to supply the root login. I could use init=/bin/sh but I couln't find anything in the logs in /var/log, so I'm guessing systemd and journalctl keeps the journal in some other place (probably some binary format hidden in a database or something).

I'm now back to having a root password, which allows me to use emergency mode. I'm unsure if having a root password (and an enabled root account) is better or worse, security-wise. If an attacker has access to the grub menu, you're probably screwed anyhow.

Matthijs