On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 11:22:44AM +0100, wsa wrote:
> I've been following the recent threads on fetchmail and i've been
> reading up on it but i'm  not quite clear on when one can loose mail.
> Right now in fetchmailrc i have "set no bouncemail, antispam -1,
> batchlimit 50, keep" as defaults.
> Fetchmail in my case fetches email of several pop3 servers from where it
> goes into exim and exim passes it on to icourer imap.
> According to the man  page fetchmail  under --flush: " What you probably
> want is  the  default  set?ting:  if  you  don't  specify `-k', then
> fetchmail will automatically delete messages after successful delivery. "
> So if i remove 'keep' from the defaults fetchmail will automatically
> delete messages from the pop server after successful delivery to my MTA,
> exim in my case, if one goes by the manual.
> From this it seems  that even if the exim setup, or whatever MTA,  is a
> mess...fetchmail will not delete any mail because a delivery would
> simply not be succesfull. Yet there's  loads and loads of  people
> loosing email at one point or another due to a badly configured MTA.
> In short, am i still at risk of loosing email even if i don't have an
> antispam filter in exim (so no error 571 will be send from exim to
> fetchmail).

When fetchmail is instructed to keep, it won't delete mail from the
remote box, so it is safe. Although, your remote box might fill up quite
quickly...

In general, a misconfigured MTA will potentially lose you mail. If I may
ask, why does exim pass the mail onto courier imap? To test your MTA,
try mailing locally and watch for successfuly delivery and bounces,
followed by a remote test, and mailing out.

At the moment I've been losing mail mostly due to procmail (or, my
misconfiguration of procmail).

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/