I'm writing python scripts with the curses GUI and I need the CP437
character set.

How can I change the character encoding in the XFCE terminal [v0.4.8] from
UTF-8 to CP437 or IBM437?

Alternatively, I did attempt to change the system locale from en_GB.UTF-8
to one that contained CP437/IBM437. However, no CP437 character sets
appeared as an option in 'dpkg-configure locales' command [although 'IBM437
does appear as an available character set in 'locales -m'.]

Changing the system locale from UTF-8 probably isn't a good idea anyway, so
it would be ideal if the character set changed was confined to the XFCE
terminal for the purposes of the curses python script.

Regards

Alex