On 21 July 2015 at 10:32, Martin Skjöldebrand <mar...@skjoldebrand.eu>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Mail from desperate user here:
>
> OS: Debian 8.1 Jessie
>
> Scenario: Mail/web server with file corruption. I have I/O errors on a few
> blocks which results in regular (daily) server crashes (including kernel
> panic) at random times during the day, usually afternoon CET. I need to run
> fsck on the disks. I have grub2 installed on the server.
>
> Catch: For some reason there is only one partition - yes I know this is
> retarded.
> Catch2: This is on virtual hosting provider so I can access the server
> through ssh or vnc but not physically
>
> How can I run fsck at boot time while the disks are umounted. Adding
> single to the grub linux kernel line fails to actually run fsck as the disk
> is mounted when server goes into rescue mode.
> I've Googled and (among other suggestions) read about the systemd fsck
> service but am not sure this will help or really how to invoke the thing
> properly
> Adding init=/bin/systemd fsck.mode=force fsck.repair=yes didn't seem to do
> much.

Well, common fsck at boot procedure I ever used was:

touch /forcefsck

Then rebooting server and waiting for it to be up. Most of the time it took
several minutes due to fsck, I would wonder if trying witch systemd-fsck
has taken a couple of minutes too? How are you sure that fsck is not
running (asumming systemd-fsck is not working) ?

On the other hand, as somebody else has told you, you should report this
issue to your hosting provider, this is more a hardware problem than a
OS/software one.

--

~ Happy install !

Erick.