On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 3:17 PM, Håkon Alstadheim <ha...@alstadheim.priv.no>
wrote:

> How long are your USB-cables? What kind of power supply do you have, and
> what else is drawing power?

The USB cable the drive is currently on is fairly short - about 80cm if I
had to guess. The drive has its own wall-wart specced at 2A (12V). There's
nothing plugged into the USB ports that would draw power (the only other
device plugged in is a UPS).

> I just went from a PSU specced at 5x the needed sustained power to 10x .
> Got a slight but definite improvement in USB stability. Yes, my system is
> drawing ~ 150w from a 1200w supply. Externally powered hubs were no help.
> 5v is specced at 30amps max. I still get drop-outs , very rarely reqiuring
> hard boot now, except if I try the multi-media-keys on my back-lit usb2.0
> keyboard.

The host is powered by a 300W  Fortron SFX PSU, which should be about 5-6x
of actual power draw. It's plugged into the UPS so power should be fairly
stable... but you do bring up a good point, the PSU is one element I hadn't
considered. Might try to swap that out, too, when I get a chance.