Mark Neyhart wrote on 07/23/2015 02:10 PM:
On 07/23/2015 08:45 AM, Dennis Wicks wrote:
Greetings,

Frequently when I run a command in a terminal window (Debian 8.1 Xfce)
I get a bunch of errors.

/bin/bash: _parse_usage: line 16: syntax error near unexpected token
`('

This will happen if you are running a command with an unescaped ( in
the parameters.  It may work to enclose the whole parameter string in
double quotes.  Or escape any ( and ) with a leading \.  For example:

mycommand "(34)"

mycommand stuff \(34\)

Mark Neyhart

Mark,

Thanks for the info, but it happens with commands which I don't pass any args/parameters to, and they are programs that came with the system or were installed later, and is pretty consistent. So, it appears that you are correct in your analysis, but I can't do anything about it!

I did discover that it happens "only" when running a login shell. I say "only" because it did appear to happen once when it wasn't a login shell but I couldn't repeat that condition.

Thanks for the help,
Dennis