On 26/07/15 12:47 PM, Dennis Wicks wrote:
Paul E Condon wrote on 07/26/2015 10:14 AM:
On 20150726_0252-0700, anxious...@gmail.com wrote:

Also years ago, and still today, there is approx which does a much
more sophisticated analysis of the data stream of repeated queries of
an ntp server. In addition to setting the local clock to the
same time as the external reference clock as is done by both ntp and
ntpdate, approx computes an estimate of *rate* of ticking of the local
clock. Properly used, in a stable HVAC environment, it can keep the
local clock synced with internet time with as few as one reading per
week of the external internet time.

On Debian approx is similar to apt-proxy and has nothing to do with time or clocks. Where can I get the one you are referring to?

It is my experience that internet time is vastly inferior to the
precision of proper laboratory grade atomic clocks of a decade or two
ago. Furthermore, no one really wants his computer clock to be
scientifically correct to the point of being useful for running the
data links to the space probe to Pluto.

What is your definition of "internet time"? I have always understood it to be what you get from stratum one and two time servers. If you like the voice version you can listen to WWV.

I have between 8 and 12 computers on my local network. When something goes wrong just a few seconds difference in clock time makes it nearly impossible, alright, extremely difficult, to match up log files and figure out what is wrong.

What everyone should want is
just that their computer clock agrees with the computer clocks of the
web sites with which they communicate. THAT is largely determined by
social convention, which cares very little about logical scientific
correctness.

Don't particularly give a ***** what time some web site thinks it is!

Regards,
Dennis

Agreed. Kerberos requires that clocks on a network agree with a reasonable degree of precision. This is most easily achieved by using an external, accurate, time source so that new computers coming onto a local network (e.g. laptop entering a wifi zone) can get their tickets.