Hi John,

>> Or must I install Jessie and then change from there to Stretch??
>
> That is almost always the best way to install Testing, unless your
> intent is to help debug the installer.

Ok I ended up doing it like that! (first install a minimal stable
[Jessie], then dist-upgrade to testing [Stretch])

Refnotes
~~~~~~

I loaded the Jessie CD image to a usb stick (dmesg showed me that it's /dev/sdb)
    ## umount usb, then:
cp jessie.img /dev/sdb && sync

And installed Jessie (without GUI-Desktop Environment).

Then changed /etc/apt/sources.list to use Stretch.

Stretch on USB
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since I already had the Stretch DVD1 on a USB, I got apt to use that
(instead of the usual way of using a web-repo).
I did that as follows:

I inserted the USB with the DVD-image and dmesg showed me that it's /dev/sdb
Then I did:

mkdir /mnt/dvd1
mount -t iso9660  -o loop /dev/sdb /mnt/dvd1/
   ## then I commented everything in /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-cdrom --no-auto-detect -m -d=/mnt/dvd1 add   # this put a line
into /etc/apt/sources.list

Then:
mount -t iso9660 -o loop /dev/sdb /media/cdrom   # needed for: apt-get update
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get autoremove

Worked nicely!

Regards

PS: I filed a bugreport for partman-auto-crypto here...