Hi,

Christian Hödl wrote:
> [...] vlc [...]
> Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> #0  0x00007f1726489743 in av_freep () from
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavutil.so.54
> [...] xine [...]
> Program terminated with signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
> #0  0x00007f79cd291107 in __GI_raise (sig=sig@entry=6) at
> ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:56
> 56    ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c: No such file or directory.

Both look like (software) memory corruption.
Usually caused by writing over the limits of an allocated
piece of memory or by de-allocating allocated memory twice.

The culprit is often hard to find because the memory management
might need quite some time until it is rotten enough to crash.

> #0  0x00007f79cd291107 in __GI_raise (sig=sig@entry=6) at
> ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:56
> #1  0x00007f79cd2924e8 in __GI_abort () at abort.c:89
> #2  0x00007f79cd2cf204 in __libc_message (do_abort=do_abort@entry=1,
> fmt=fmt@entry=0x7f79cd3c1fe0 "*** Error in `%s': %s: 0x%s ***\n") at
> ../sysdeps/posix/libc_fatal.c:175

Underneath xine, libc seems to have noticed the problem
before it lead to a crash. I guess it issued a message
and then deliberately threw signal 6 = SIGABRT (man 7 signal).

A standard tool to catch the culprit is valgrind.
Often awfully slow. So it might produce its own problems with
video display.
Nevertheless it might find the first memory abuse which starts
the whole mess.

  valgrind xine ...xine.options... 2>&1 | tee -i /tmp/valgrind_xine.log

In any case the output will be useful if you file a bug report.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas