A couple of questions, here.

1.  Is there an email list similar to this one about the
Raspberry Pi computers? There are a number of web forums that are
fine, but I would like to find an email list similar to this one
or to the PIC microcontroller list which some of you may know
about. Raspbian is the ARM-friendly distribution of Debian so I
am not totally off topic but I know this is a stretch.

        The other question is about the boot disk for a Raspberry
Pi2.

        The Raspberry Pi's OS is on a micro SD card. The Pi2 I
just got came with an 8 GB SD and I want to use a 32GB SD card.

        It has not yet been powered up so what is on the 8 GB
card is a FAT32 file system with what appear to be
self-extracting archives plus instructions for Windows, Mac and
Linux users for preparing a drive/card.

        In this case, the card is already to boot in the RPi2 so
I hope to transplant what is there to the 32 GB card.

        Since it has not yet been booted, shouldn't I be able to
tar that file system and then extract it to the 32-GB card which
came out of the package formatted to FAT32?

        Since FAT32 is not normally used in unix systems, I
assume that the extraction process may actually re-format the SD
boot drive.

        The tar and extract process went okay except that tar
produced an error about an implausibly old time stamp just as it
ended. You mean they didn't have this OS back on December 31 in
1969? Actually, that means the time stamp read 0 and the locale
rules for America/Chicago interprets that as December 31 of 1969
at 18:00. I was 18, then. The Unix operating system was an infant
at Bell Labs and it would be another ten years before I even kind
of knew how computers worked.

Martin McCormick