On Tue, 2015-08-25 at 13:23 +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
> On 24/08/15 10:03, T. J. Duchene wrote:
> > Blu-ray discs carry updates and blacklists that your Blu-ray drive
> > is required to accept on a hardware level. Whenever you insert a
> > disc into the drive (OS makes no difference), the firmware is
> > checked and possibly updated.
>
> Presumably these updates are signed, and verified by the existing
> firmware.
>
> Still, if the signing key was leaked, one could have some fun ...
>
> Richard

Hi Richard! =)

If I recall correctly, the updates consist of revoked player keys and
such.  So the "updates" are purely data, but if your player does not
accept the revocations then the disc providing them will probably refuse
to play saying that your firmware is "out of date".

The manufacturer of the drive actually updates the controller.  So I
suppose you could have some "fun" (if you wanted to call it that)  but I
don't think it would be very productive.

It really does not matter.  I remember reading that Intel's master key
for HDCP had been leaked in 2010, so from a certain view, AACS has
already been defeated.  The problem is that bypassing DRM is illegal in
many countries, even for personal use.  The software design challenges
are not often undertaken any more as they were for the DVD format.  Many
countries that were havens for research now have severe penalties for
anyone engaged, even for legitimate reasons. Big international
corporations and lots of money have pretty much put any hopes any one
might have of an opensource Linux Blu-ray player to an end.

As far as video DRM on Linux is concerned, Google has pretty much made
certain that Android will be the only commercially supported version for
the foreseeable future.

T.J.