On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 18:44:01 +0200
Nicolas George <geo...@nsup.org> wrote:

> Le sextidi 6 fructidor, an CCXXIII, Anthony Maples a écrit :
> > In that case, you probably need the dmix plugin.  I have it setup on my
> > laptop like this in /etc/asound.conf:
>
> No, no, no! Why do people not leave the default config alone?!?
>
> The default config already has all the plugins anyone needs for normal use,
> including dmix for sharing between applications and plug to convert any
> input format to a format supported by the hardware.
>
> Only ever write a .asoundrc file if you REALLY know what you are doing.
>
> For reference, your configuration breaks recording, you can observe that
> with:
>
> arecord /tmp/dummy.wav

you mean like this :

ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:618:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
arecord: main:722: audio open error: No such file or directory

There's just one problem.  I do NOT have a .asoundrc file, nor do i have an
/etc/asound.conf

echo $ALSA_CARD
A2

recording doesn't work, and there is not mixer in set-up.

Brian