On Thursday 27 August 2015 14:10:07 Thomas Schmitt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > (As if I invented online references!!!)
>
> At least you have more luck with googling than me.
>

> I beat this thread not because i want to win.
> As said, it is about the potential hazard of too much
> "user-friendliness" in the drive firmware.
>
> If Gene has a pile of dead drives and the donors state
> that they fell victim to Sony, then i must say that
> this first would have to be carefully investigated.
> Drives die from age and from abuse. Media can show
> deceiving behavior. MS-Windows users see things their
> very own way.
>
> The idea to recycle tray motors is as weird as it is
> appealing. They live longer than the optical systems
> and/or the tracking servos.
> But are they strong enough for any real work ?

This bit of jig it has to turn thru about a 180, is on a section of piano
hinge, about a foot long and about 3/8" thick and 1 1/2 wide, fairly
light bit of Mahogany scrap.  The whole thing might weigh 3 ounces if
the piano hinge can be ignored.  And if the drive belt hasn't stretched
in its senior years, there is a surprising amount of pull to open or
close the tray.  The coupling cable I think can be a 6 or 7 inch length
of speedometer cable. It will take 3 circuits (pins) of a parallel port,
one to open it, one to close it, and one to energize an air hose to
clear the area of old cuttings so it lays down flat with an audible slap
each time.

And yes, better dust collection is on my bucket list.  But that will take
more horsepower.  Horsepower that to be economical, will need a 4th
ciruit to turn it on and off as needed as the program is running.

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I just have to make an
> > appropriately sized box with only 2 tight fitting holes in it,
>
> How about making a fan out of the spindle motor to keep
> the dust out of the box by filtered pressure air ?
> (I mean ... as we are already at it ... :))
>

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)