On 08/28/2015 03:55 AM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Since this all stays a bit obscure, how about this summary statement: Be aware that inserting a commercial Blu-ray video disc into the drive can have undesired effects on the overall video decoding and display system. (This does not affect the use of the BD drive with self-burned BD media.)
As I said in an earlier post, that sums it up, yes.

With one last proviso, in that let's hope they never put out a update that triggers an existing bug in your firmware that bricks the drive. Unlikely to the point of nil, but not entirely impossible. It is the unforeseen consequences of a "self annealing" DRM that concern me. Since they clearly have not tested every forced update on every model of player/drive, the results cannot be predicted with 100% certainty.

AACS can target an individual player not by modifying its
firmware but rather by invalidating its decryption keys for
all newly produced BD-ROM media.
It is correct in that it does not modify the firmware that operates equipment specifically, ie the controller. However, BD devices themselves retain disc keys in the form of flash storage in the player/drive's electronics. If the studios revoke a decryption key, the player is essentially "bricked" for playback of anything that uses that key.

In this theory, players like AnyDVD and makemkv keep compromised
keys (e.g in file keydb.cfg) and their warnings tell that the
currently used compromised key is not of use with the given video.
I.e. one needs to get new compromised player keys, which were
harvested after the given video disc was pressed.
Yes, that is why there are no "end all" solutions to BD playback with unsanctioned players. Developers of things like makemkv are playing a tug of war with the studios. Pointless, really. BD was deliberately designed for this outcome. If you want proper BD on Linux, you will have to buy a license and develop a sanctioned player - which means it would not be FOSS.