On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 01:16:35 -0500
rlhar...@oplink.net wrote:

> On Sat, August 29, 2015 12:53 am, Riley Baird wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 23:56:17 -0500
> > rlhar...@oplink.net wrote:
> >> Do I need to take special precautions such as configuring the
> >> iptable firewall on my laptop?  Is the laptop likely to "pick up"
> >> anything (virus, trojan, or whatever) which could compromise the
> >> machines in my own network?
> >
> > Probably not, if you have no network services running on your
> > laptop.
>
> On https://wiki.debian.org/Network I find the following list of
> network services:
>
> Printing, Data Base, DHCP, DNS, FTP, LDAP, Mail, Monitoring, NTP, PPP,
> Remote Display, File sharing, Disk Sharing, SSH, SVN, Web Server, IM,
> IPSec VPN, Azureus as a daemon
>
> I do not recall all the details of the installation, but I did install
> SSH, printing, and approx.  I may have installed NTP and a web
> server.  I did not install mail.
>
> The laptop uses DHCP to get an ip address from the router, but DHCP as
> a network service must have to do with a machine used as a router,
> correct?
>
> Installing again would take only a few hours, most of the time being
> spent on configuration of the XFCE desktop.

Do you have other Linux machines in your network? If so, use nmap from
one of them to see what services your laptop is offering.

It is possible to install nmap on Windows, but Windows networking is
such a pain these days that I wouldn't trust the results of running it.
In particular, Windows AV software is increasingly invasive. If you
don't have another Linux machine, you could run a Live CD/USB.

--
Joe