Quoting rlhar...@oplink.net (rlhar...@oplink.net):
> On Sun, August 30, 2015 8:49 pm, Martin Read wrote:
> > Cherry still *are* (or at some point resumed) making mechanical
> > keyswitches with a rated life in the tens of millions, and the Internet is
> > full of mail-order vendors selling keyboards (from several different
> > manufacturers) built with those Cherry keyswitches.
>
> How much do those things cost?  Now that a keyboard can be had for $10 or
> $15, is it better to pay $150 or even $250 for a quality keyboard, or
> replace a $15 keyboard every year or even every six months?

Well it's not really possible to buy my favourite keyboard any more.

My second favourite is the IBM clicky which I still use, but with
greater headaches as it has a PS/2 connector. I'm not a blind-typing
person; I type mainly with four fingers and the left thumb (it
appears, when I try to watch myself at the same time as typing).
So the truncated LShift doesn't bother me.
As it's a UK keyboard, it would be difficult to replace. I like the
positive feel, and no keyboard had a longer cable. I do not like the
US placement of # and ~.

My favourite keyboard of all time was the VT220 (which was attached to
a mighty VT241 display). The incomparable feature was the key-click
because it was not passively generated. The click came back with the
character reflection, so it gave you *truly* active feedback.
With my EVE (Extensible Vax Editor) redefining the numeric keypad, it
was my most comfortable editing platform.

My wife (who is a true touch-typist) was also a VT220/EVE addict; so
much so that when she went to sea one time, I had to use the crude
shore-ship email system to get my 1150-line customisation file out to
her. (This was the days of Greybook Mail over X25 with gateways to
Bitnet and Arpanet, but fortunately post- the time when I could only
email ships through BT Gold, which cost real money.)

> And in our present Window$-dominated, rodent-oriented, game-addicted and
> generally-lliterate society, is there anyone who types more than a few
> dozen keystrokes a day for the purpose of intelligent conversation --
> other than subscribers to a mail list such as this, and the authors of
> pulp fiction?  (And no, I do not consider messages transmitted by
> "texting" or "twitter" to be intelligent conversation.)

Plenty of people originate and edit material with their keyboards.
(I assume you don't class scientific literature as pulp fiction!)

Cheers,
David.