On Mon 28 Sep 2015 at 10:39:29 +0100, Joe wrote:

> On 28/09/2015 10:11, Brian wrote:
> >On Sun 27 Sep 2015 at 22:56:38 +0100, Joe wrote:
> >
> >>I believe there was a deliberate decision not to include systemd in an
> >>upgrade, only in new installations.
> >
> >Actually, the decision was the opposite of this. A dist-upgrade will
> >install systemd-sysv unless steps are taken to prevent it happening.
> >

> > https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#systemd
> >

> > https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#systemd-upgrade-default-init-system
> >
> Thanks, I haven't yet upgraded a wheezy to jessie.
>
> I had been under the impression, from previous systemd discussions, that an
> upgrade of stable would not by default switch to a systemd init. Clearly
> this is not the case, and it will.
>
> I'm not at all keen on doing that, I still favour a clean systemd-based
> installation for my server, with the associated configuration work. An
> upgraded stable will never be quite identical with a clean installation with
> the same requested packages, and I'm not planning on asking for more trouble
> than is absolutely necessary.

Telling you that my server upgrade went well isn't much consolation
because no doubt we have different setups. I'd suggest sticking with
a sysvinit based dist-upgrade so any problems with that can be sorted
out without any systemd anxiety. Then install systemd-sysv.

After updating, either carry out the suggested pinning or install
sysvinit-core to satisfy the dependency of the init package. You can
always roll-back to sysvinit-core from systemd-sysv.