On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 14:15:08 -0700
Rick Thomas <rbtho...@pobox.com> wrote:

> In my experience (I’m the OP) aptitude was always part of the default
> installation, even when I specified a text-only (no DE) system.  It’s
> very recent (last month or so) that I now have to “apt-get install
> aptitude”.  I wonder what you and I are doing differently?

I haven't ever installed sid as such, that may be a difference.

I normally have the current stable netinstall CD laying around, I put on
the most minimal system allowed, upgrade it as stable, upgrade straight
to sid, then install all the bells and whistles I want. I usually
fiddle around a bit before the sid upgrade, and I like aptitude, sudo
and mc around then, and I've always had to explicitly install them. I
haven't yet done this with anything later than wheezy, which is why I
asked when aptitude was moved into the base system.

Presumably some component(s) of a full desktop system specifies
aptitude, but I haven't ever gone that way. I'm either installing a
stable server, when I don't want anything graphical, or I'm working up
to sid with minimal downloading where I want aptitude earlier than it
might otherwise arrive.

--
Joe