On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 17:50:07 -0600, Mario Castelán Castro
<marioxcc...@yandex.com> wrote:

> El 18/11/15 a las 17:39, Ric Moore escribió:
> > On 11/18/2015 02:24 PM, moxalt wrote:
> >
> >> I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as
> >> Linux, is
> >> in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus
> >> Linux.
> > Depends who's version of the definition of OS you use:
> >   Here's a quote from "The design of the unix operating system", Maurice
> > J. Bach, Prentice/Hall, 1986, page 4:
> >
> >      The operating system interacts directly with the hardware,
> > providing common services to programs and insulating them from hardware
> > idiosyncrasies. Viewing the system as a set of layers, the operating
> > system is commonly called the system kernel, or just the kernel,
> > emphasizing its isolation from user programs. Because programs are
> > independent of the underlying hardware, it is easy to move them between
> > UNIX systems running on different hardware if the programs do not make
> > assumptions about the underlying hardware."
> > http://linux.topology.org/lingl.html
> > "Personally, I am against re-defining the English language for political
> > and marketing purposes."
> >
> > There ya go. Ric
>
> There is a common false justification for calling the operating system
> "Linux" instead of "GNU/Linux". Anybody who really thinks that Linux is
> an operating system because operating system is synonymous with kernel
> must start talking about "The kernel of {FreeBSD, Windows, OS X,
> etcetera}" as the operating system as well for otherwise he'd be an
> hypocrite in applying his own argument inconsistently instead of
> acknowledging his own mistake in that in the modern meaning of
> "operating system", Linux is NOT an operating system. The modern word
> for that meaning of "operating system" is "kernel".
>
> By the way, according to Debian, GNU/Linux is an OS and Linux is a
> kernel. Look at the OS title ("Debian GNU/Linux") and package names.

The fact that the 'open source' crowd aren't willing to call Windows 'the
Windows NT kernel', FreeBSD 'the FreeBSD kernel' and Mac OS X 'the GNU
Mach kernel/FreeBSD kernel' demonstrates the utter ridiculousness of the whole
'operating systems and kernels are the same' position. It also demonstrates
just how ideologically motivated their reference to GNU/Linux as 'Linux' is-
they simply wish to downplay the FSF and the GNU project (without which Linux
would have been unusable as part of a free operating system, and without which
Linux wouldn't even be free (thanks to the GPL and RMS' persuasive influence))
and promote Linus Torvalds and his 'free software as a development model'
approach- open source.