On 2016-03-16 at 11:35, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016, at 09:45, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> In my case, it meant that a microcode update which was/is needed on
>> my combination of CPU and motherboard was not being applied. This
>> appeared
>
> What processor is this, please?

Core i7-990X Extreme. /proc/cpuinfo reports it as:

cpu family: 6
model: 44
model name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 990 @ 3.47 GHz
stepping: 2

and currently (with the problem not happening) also reports
microcode: 0x14

The problem apparently only happens with some motherboards, whose BIOS
or UEFI doesn't handle something correctly (I used to know what, but
I've forgotten the details). My motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth X58,
running (AFAICT) the latest available BIOS for that model; I don't have
any identifying details which seem more useful than that.

--
   The Wanderer