https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_such_thing_as_a_stupid_question

> Hypertext--or should I say the ideology of hypertext?--is ultrademocratic and
> so entirely in harmony with the demagogic appeals to cultural democracy that
> accompany (and distract one’s attention from) the ever-tightening grip of
> plutocratic capitalism. - Susan Sontag

I remember, back in the days when "programmed learning" was new,
picking up a novel where the chapters were designed to be read
in the order of the reader's own choosing. (Reader's rather than
readers'---I'm sure only the proof-reader ever read the entire book.)
Having flicked through it, my only decision if I bought it would be
to decide, after pulling it apart into its signatures, in which order
to use them as firelighters :)

Cheers,
David.