On 03/20/2016 10:45 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
One of the problems I have is architecture related, synaptic thinks for
some unfathomable to me reason, that this is an i386 machine.  But its
not, currently running kernel 3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64, and no currently
installed 32 bit application has a problem.

But now all the browser coders have thrown i386 machines under the bus,
and I'm apparently stuck with the broken i386 stuff left behind.

How can I convince the package managers to search for x86_64 stuff in the
repos and install it.

All my reload the repo databse errors point to it looking for
non-existant i386 version of this or that, when obviously (to me at
least) I see no valid reason for refusing to install x86_64 stuff.

Or should I bite the bullet, go buy 2 new drives and do a fresh x86_64
install?

I would do a backup-wipe-install-restore cycle.  (Yes, I'm predictable.)

I typically grab CD 1 with my desktop of choice, installing or leaving out the desktop as desired when installing on a given computer:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/7.9.0/amd64/jigdo-cd/debian-7.9.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.jigdo

For those who prefer KDE or LXDE:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/7.9.0/amd64/jigdo-cd/debian-7.9.0-amd64-kde-CD-1.jigdo

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/7.9.0/amd64/jigdo-cd/debian-7.9.0-amd64-lxde-CD-1.jigdo

I believe the standard CD 1 defaults to Gnome 3:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/7.9.0/amd64/jigdo-cd/debian-7.9.0-amd64-CD-1.jigdo

Of course, if you have a local cache for packages, the net installer saves bandwidth and might age better:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/7.9.0/amd64/jigdo-cd/debian-7.9.0-amd64-netinst.jigdo

I'm curious about "2 new drives". What's the intended purpose of the machine? What drive(s) are already installed? Any spares on the shelf? And, what about the USB 3.0 flash-as-system-drive trick?

David