On Apr 17, 2016, at 5:30 AM, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
<ren...@olgiati-in-paraguay.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 11:48:16 +0000
> Mark Fletcher <mark2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It seems the emotions, even now, are running too high to be simply about
>> "if it ain't broke don't fix it". What am I missing?
>
> You are missing that the change to systemd makes most of the knowledge
> patiently acquired over the years running and caring for a Linux system has
> suddenly become unusable.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ron.

For me, this is the main reason that I at first resisted the switch to systemd
— I didn’t want to spend a lot of time learning a whole new set of concepts for
a task I used to understand.  With time and experience, I’m beginning to relax
a bit.  I now feel confident that I could, with study and effort, accomplish
anything I really need to do with the systemd tools, but I’ve still got a lot
more to learn.  I really wish I had a “Systemd for smart dummies (who used to
think they knew everything there was to know about LSB init)” document.

There are still a few bugs in the system, though.  The main one that irritates
me these days is that there does not seem to be any good automatic way to deal
with the interactions at boot time between md-raid, encryption and the logical
volume manager.  Getting the right components called when needed in and out of
the initrd is touchy and fragile.  This area really needs some work.

Enjoy!
Rick