On Thu, 2016-06-23 at 15:49 -0600, James Lay wrote:
> And after hooking up a second monitor it indeeds defaults to that
> second monitor after running:
> modprobe radeon modeset=1
> Now..I do I tell the driver which monitor to use?  Thank you.

Great! There's probably a bug somewhere, or that particular hardware
should have some sort of quirk to enable the primary monitor, but I'm
not sure what component the bug should be filed against.

I haven't tried this myself, but it looks like you should be able to
force the primary display on (and the secondary off) during
modesetting:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/kernel_mode_setting#Forcing_modes_and_EDID

You can also do something similar in the Xorg configuration.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson