On 7/23/2016 2:16 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 7/22/2016 2:55 PM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
[snip]

Quite. I have cloned a root partition on the same disk in order
to do some experiments on the cloned system. I think I just
changed the UUID and label in the filesystem metadata and in
/etc/fstab.

Something like that was in the back of my mind when writing
"almost clone". I just didn't know what needed to be tweaked.

I think that is the route I'll follow. I has the advantage of causing to investigate "how to change a UUID". I found out how but what was most beneficial was side roads leading to a better understanding of the guts of Linux.

LVM2 and ZFS had been suggested. Reading about them did give me ideas about one of my other possible future projects.