On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 12:33:27PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2016, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > Now, starting last week, the problem is that when I try to apt-get update,
> > the files coming from security.debian.org HANG at 100% complete.  It
> > looks something like this:
>
> While it really might be something else completely, the anti-virus
> function of an "UTM" box (firewall+av+ips+ids+content filter+kitchen
> sink) box is your first suspect.
>
> You could try using https. It might help, or it might make matters much
> worse.

Around 10:30 this morning, it started working again all on its own.  I'm
guessing one of the networking people restarted something.

There is a phenomenon in one of the online communities that I engage with.
A sort of wink-nudge superstition, if you will: "If you want something
to happen, complain in chat about it not happening."  Posting in IRC
didn't work in this case, but apparently posting to debian-user worked.