On 29 August 2016 at 20:20, Alan E. Davis <lngn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried changing permissions of /media.  Not solved.
>
> an NTFS partition was not mountable unless dismounted from the automatic
> mount point; as far as I can see, this is not the case for vfat or ext4
> partitions.
>
> I did copy a udev rule for setting permissions---something above my level
> of understanding, however.  If anything, the situation was worse.
>
> It has been very frustrating to google for 2 hours on this probably very
> simple problem.  I think the solution is just to mount them manually.
> Still, it would be helpful to automount them, or mount via fstab.  I have
> not had success mouting by label, and one does not know in advance whether
> some usb flash drive might preempt these drive designations.
>
> BTW I am pleased to be running a Debian system again after some years.  It
> took a good deal of work, though, to get it set up on an iMac with a
> broadcom wifi adaptor!

 What I do (if this is an external disk I will be using regularly) is to
specify it in /etc/fstab e.g.:

UUID=c8cb3c35-6b19-40e2-be34-e6e3bde03fa4 /media/1tb_klein  ext4
user,rw,noauto 0 0

the 'user' option allow me then to mount it like this:

mount /media/1tb_klein

and I can read/write there.

If after it is mounted there is a problem with ownership, I change it after
the device was mounted:

chown js.js /media/1tb_klein

By the way the packages pmount is useful to mount hogpluggable devices as
user.

If the device is for instance /dev/sdb1 and you do as user pmount
/dev/sdb1  it will create /media/sdb1 and mount the device there.
Use pumount /dev/sdb1 to unmount.

Regards
Johann

--
Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)