I'm not sure which package this bug should be filed against, partially because
I'm not entirely sure of the root cause.  I'm able to replicate it on our
systems every time, though I have not tried on a fresh install of Debian - our
images aren't really that much different anyway.   We don't have a GUI
installed, just text mode or whatever you want to call it.  I've spent hours
googling and I have not found anyone else affected by this, nor did I find
anything in BTS.

Here's how to replicate the bug:
        1) Log in as a normal user on a VT/
        2) Start nano.  If nano is not available, I think any application that
interacts with the user would work, but I've only tried using nano.
        3) Hit Scroll Lock - At this point, anything you type will get buffered
somewhere and won't show up until you turn off Scroll Lock.  Leave it on for
the moment.
        4) Switch to a different VT using Alt+F2  or do these next steps from
an SSH session
        5) Run "sudo reboot" or "sudo shutdown"
        6) The system will start rebooting (some services will stop) but it
will "hang" in the reboot until you go back to the first VT and turn off Scroll
Lock.

I have not found a way to prevent the bug from happening.  If you have physical
console access, the obvious solution is to switch to the affect VT and disable
scroll lock.  If you only have remote access, then running this will unblock
the console:
        sudo stty -F /dev/console ixon ; sudo stty -F /dev/console -ixon
I came across that workaround after digging through the TTY code and seeing
this which made me think to try toggling ixon.  Note that this only works if
you already have an SSH session before initiating the shutdown/reboot - nologin
prevents new sessions from starting otherwise.

Could someone confirm that this happens on more than just my systems and/or let
me know what package I should file the bug against?