@Stephan Beck,
Sorry, English isnt good enough, may be it's hard to get what i really mean
:(

If you really follow the installation guide
> ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-flexible, you have to create a syslinux.cfg
> yourself, there is no existing syslinux.cfg (content),

There was no existing syslinux.cfg. I followed the instruction, I created
the syslinux.cfg. I wrote these lines into syslinux.cfg :
  1: default vmlinuz
  2: append initrd=initrd.gz

I tried to boot the USB, and it complained about having a 'kernel panic - vfs
unable to ... '

I then edit the syslinux.cfg, replaced them with these four lines:
  1: default debi
  2: label debi
  3: kernel vmlinuz
  4: append initrd=initrd.gz
and the USB disk booted normally, no complain, and proceed to the
installation menu.

Doing it the flexible way, the content of the syslinux.cfg to be created
> should be (it's from the stick I used for a real installation, so
> priority=medium is optional) :
>
> default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz priority=medium

After having debian installed on my machine, I formatted my USB disk, I
haven't tried your suggestion, but it should work.

My purpose writing this is to confirm that those two lines from
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.
html.en#usb-copy-flexible didn't work out for me. The installation guide
might need a tiny fix... (If I'm not wrong)

Debian Jessie itself uses syslinux version 6.03. Creating a USB boot disk
using those two lines in syslinux.cfg will not work.

Refer to the official syslinux site http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/i
ndex.php?title=Directives/append

> Take the following simple configuration:
>
>   DEFAULT mykernel
>   APPEND root=/dev/sda2
>
> Note that the APPEND line here is a *global* directive, as it is not part
> of any LABEL entry.
>
> For Syslinux 4.xx and older, the above simple configuration works as (it
> used to be) expected.
> *Since version 5.00,* the result for the above sample configuration is
> that the *root=/dev/sda2* argument is not parsed, which will lead to
> unexpected results, most probably with some kind of failure to boot the OS.
> In other words, the *global* APPEND is ignored by the DEFAULT directive.

Regards,
Bill