On Sun 30 Oct 2016 at 12:22:43 +0300, Reco wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 23:49:17 +0100
> Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > They do indeed. Six years. Do you get the feeling it is getting on for
> > unmaintained. (And a wiki page with HAL on it! I ask you). But software
> > changes. Then wiki pages change.
>
> Why bother with feelings then you have packages.qa.debian.org?
> It plainly states that:
>
> The current maintainer is looking for someone who can take over
> maintenance of this package.
>
> I'm still don't get it how does it make pmount a 'moving target'. It's
> the direct opposite of it IMO.

Software changes over time (features etc), necessitating a review and
possible rewrite of parts of the documentation.

> > Since you wrote this, hundreds of people using GNOME have popped a USB
> > stick into their machines and typed
> >
> >   dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<somewhere>
> >
> > Those who didn't get
> >
> >   dd: failed to open 'dev/<somewhere>'
> >
> > will be along soon to report success and explain why.
>
> #788662, comment 28 to be precise. I'm too lazy to discover that secret
> 'D-Bus interfaces provided by udisks2' personally.

#781495.

> > The floppy group + a udev rule is a Wheezy thing. Not suitable for a
> > wiki relating to a current Debian.
>
> Just because it looks obsolete does not mean it does not work. Still,
> if you need to do it FreeDesktop way, you'll need an udev rule like
> this:
>
> ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_BUS}=="usb", KERNEL=="sd*", TAG+="uaccess"

A user without privileges to partition a USB stick or write to its MBR
(which is the case on jessie and later) won't be able to do either of
these.

There are some good things which have come out of this discussion. To
use cfdisk, fdisk, dd, mkfs.vfat and grub-install a user has to be
root. Being able to mount as non-root is neither here nor there on
jessie and stretch for the purpose of installing GRUB, so references to
pmount etc can go.

--
Brian.