On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 02:53:14PM +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Thursday 10 November 2016 10:53:47 Richard Owlett wrote:
> > >
> > > I imagine you have seen this lot - especially the top three??
> > > https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=basic+debian+file+system&oq=basic+debia
> > >n+file+system&aqs=chrome..69i57.7617j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
> > >
> > > Lisi
> >
> > Yes, but not in the context of a sub-project from last few days.
> > I suspect what I aiming at might look like - the groups and
> > permission bits set at time partition created, thus avoiding
> > games with /etc/fstab .
> >
> > richard@jessie-defaults:~$
> > richard@jessie-defaults:~$ ls -l /dev/sd*
> > brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8,  0 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda
> > brw-rw---- 1 root owl  8,  1 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda1
> > brw-rw-r-- 1 root owl  8,  2 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda2
> > brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8,  3 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda3
> > brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8,  5 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda5
> > brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 16 Nov 10 04:43 /dev/sdb
> > br--rw-r-- 1 root owl  8, 17 Nov 10 04:43 /dev/sdb1
> > richard@jessie-defaults:~$

> Richard - are you clear that the permissions are not for the partitions but
> for the directories on the mount points on the filing system on which those
> partitions have been hung??

Now I'm confused: what Richard shows up there are the permissions of the
*device files* in which (presumably, sometimes) some file system might
reside. Those file systems might (or might not) be mounted on some directory
in the file system tree (which we don't see here).

I think I didn't understand you.

Regards
- -- t