On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 15:14:47 +0100
<to...@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 01:58:04PM +0000, Joe wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 13:33:51 +0100
> > Nicolas George <geo...@nsup.org> wrote:

> > > Then you did not read correctly.

> > > Tomas' answer contains the solution to your problem: the umask
> > > mount option. This it, no more no less.
> > >
> > > To know how to actually use it, re-read Tomas' answer, RTFM, RTFW
> > > or hire a consultant. But you have your answer.
> >
> > Tomas' answer contains *a* solution, for a specific device.
> >
> > There *is* a generic answer, which requires no fstab entry, but I
> > have to admit that I haven't a clue what it is.
>
> This is your desktop environment doing it for you (noticed how it
> mounts under /media/joe? Guess what happens if you had set up
> another user and "were logged in as" this other user? /media/joe
> or rather /media/otheruser? That's it).

Well done. I assumed it was a lower level than that, as usbmount wasn't
DE-specific.

I'm running Xfce, hence the Thunar file manager, which I don't use, and
apparently thunar-volman which does automounting. It doesn't show up in
an apt-cache search for automount.

> Of course the DE doesn't do the mount directly, but relies on
> pmount or something similar.

I don't have pmount installed.

> Sorry I can't offer more details: I'm not "in" the intricacies of
> desktop environments. For me, they are too intricate and finicky,
> therefore I prefer to run without.
>
> I mount my media explicitly.

So do I. If I don't want a USB stick mounted, I don't plug it in. If I
do plug it in, apart from formatting, why would I not want it mounted?
I don't want any applications or media to autorun, but I do want the
filesystems mounted.

--
Joe