On 11/30/16, Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> apt-mark showmanual   gives you the complement of   apt-mark showauto.
>> The second paragraph of apt-mark's description explains what's meant
>> by "auto". So "manual" doesn't mean what you appear to assume it does,
>> that you were involved in manually selecting it for installation. It
>> just means "not auto".
>
> To me "auto" means "not manually", so I'm just as confused as Rodolfo
> and I think for good reasons.  There might be technical reasons behind
> the way it currently works, but I think this qualifies as a bug (maybe
> a UI bug, maybe a coding bug, maybe a doc bug).

The other day I commented that I played along with this thread by
testing apt-mark against what I've observed while installing packages
over time. That observation was that apt-get automatically marks
packages as manually installed without being proactively told to do so
*IF* one (accidentally) installs a package that is currently up to
date on upgrades..

Note: While I was typing the above, it came to mind that maybe that's
a purposeful feature that happens because I most frequently perform
"apt-get install" instead of "apt-get upgrade" (k/t managing limited
resources).

Part of what I shared in my previous related comment is that I see the
following when accidentally using "at-get install" on a package that
is already up to date:

++++++
libchromaprint1 is already the newest version (1.3.2-2).
libchromaprint1 set to manually installed.
++++++

My observation the other day was that once that occurs, apt-mark then
understandably and immediately adds that package to any future query
feedback.

An observation today is that you apparently only see that message
once, that being the first time you (accidentally) try to install a
currently current package. That makes sense so that's where tools like
apt-mark come in handy. If you miss that "set to manually installed."
advisement during that single instance when it occurs, tools like
apt-mark have your back.

My reaction over time has been that, nope, I didn't want packages set
as manually installed primarily because #1 I didn't specifically
command it to be so and #2 I don't know what that action affects
deeper under the hood. So far it hasn't *appeared to* hurt anything,
and, point blank, there are far more pressing issues needing addressed
in my local, real World community at this moment. #Priorities. :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with plastic sporks *