On 12/29/2016 3:14 PM, The Wanderer wrote:
On 2016-12-29 at 15:59, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

Le 29/12/2016 à 16:53, Richard Owlett a écrit :

I added these two lines to /etc/fstab:
/dev/sda7       /media/sda7     ext2    users,rw     0       0
/dev/sda8       /media/sda8     ext2    users,rw     0       0

Don't do that. Really.

1) Don't use drive or partition device names such as /dev/sda7. They are
unreliable. Use persistent identifiers such as UUID or LABEL instead.

How does that work if these are for removable devices (as I think from
past threads may well be the case here),

In this case I am dealing with the only hard drive existing internal to the laptop.

 and you may be plugging
half-a-dozen different devices into the same port at different times
(and want each one to be mounted to this same place)?

AFAIK, both UUID and LABEL are device- or FS-specific. If that's not the
case, I'd be interested to learn about it.