On 12/31/16, kamaraju kusumanchi <raju.mailingli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would you like to share some Debian tips that made a significant
> impact to your productivity in 2016? Things that you wish you had
> known earlier.
>
> Here are my top two.
>
> 1) Zim
> I found it useful for organizing thoughts, making todo lists, creating
> documentation especially when working on multiple projects with many
> task holders.
>
> The software can be installed by apt-get install zim.
>
> 2) Searching command line history using glob patterns
> Basically, when reverse searching the command history using ctrl-r,
> you can use glob expressions in the search by adding the following
> lines to zshrc.
>
> # Use glob patterns when using ctrl-r
> #   ctrl-r wordA*wordB
> # will match commands where wordA is followed by wordB with zero or more
> number
> # of characters in between. This functionality is not available in old zsh
> # versions (ex:- 4.2.6) so check for its availability.
> zle -al | grep -q history-incremental-pattern-search-backward
> if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
>   bindkey "\C-r" history-incremental-pattern-search-backward
> fi
>
> Once done, ctrl-r sudo*apt*update will bring up "sudo apt-get install
> update" if such a command already exists in the history.
>
> AFAIK only zsh has this functionality.

Hi.. I can't remember if it was this year or last so we can pretend it
was this year that I stumbled upon the concept of "mindmapping" (mind
mapping). I just ran a quick "apt-cache search" on it and didn't see
much available when you use a single repository for Sid's packages. I
"endure"... some ongoing "circumstances" where that would have been
hugely beneficial for connecting the dots had I learned of the concept
five or six years ago.

No, I'm not using the concept this second, but FreeMind was one I did
specifically test drive a while back. Am not finding it under Sid just
this sec so not sure the where or how from the time I did download it.

Best wishes in 2017 to everyone!

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey