On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 11:52:30 -0500 Ric Moore sent:

> On 01/11/2017 03:02 AM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Charlie wrote:
> >> mount: /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> >> mount: special device /dev/sr0 does not exist
> >
> > Does command dmesg report something about "sr0" after this
> > happened ?
> >

> > Have a nice day :)
>
> Do you have a bios selection for the cdrom drive?? Last time this
> happened to me, replacement of the drive fixed the problem. Ric

        After contemplation, my reply is:

Just for completeness:

Checked the BIOS to see if there was anything that might be changed or
to be discovered, without result.

Changed some of the numbers in:
/etc/udev/rules.d/persistent-cd.rules

Which brought up error messages about /dev/sr0 not being a block device.

Then went through the: mknod sr0 b 11 0 process as explained previously
again.

Rebooted the system.

Ran through discovering what was now happening- surprise:

 ls -l /dev/sr0
brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 Jan 12 08:54 /dev/sr0

Did eject, put in a data DVD, and read it.

Ejected it again closed the drawer

Retried eject:

~$ eject
eject: tried to use `/dev/sr0' as device name but it is no block device
eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'

So the drive is definitely crook.

Thanks for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

Charlie

--
        Registered Linux User:- 329524

        He is a hard man who is only just, and a sad one who is only
        wise. --Voltaire

        Debian GNU/Linux - Magic indeed.