Mutt (1.5.23) is rebuffing my every attempt to get ispell working. Currently I have in .muttrc:

set ispell="ispell --mode=email"

This threw no error when mutt launched, so it was with high spirits that I tried to send off deliberately misspelled emails. Alas and alack. these arrived at their intended destinations with their test misspellings intact.

Could it be (he asked) that spell-checking in mutt does not follow on auto-magically (if that is the word I'm looking for here) via the bare expedient of creating an entry in .muttrc such as is on display several lines above?

Throwing myself on Google's mercy leads me to believe that the only editor permitted (so to speak) with mutt is vim. I refuse to accept this, and, if found to be true, would protest in the strongest available terms through proper channels.

Please help.

Thank you.

--
"Natasha! First we shoot jet, then we go after moose and squirrel."