And if you think application consistency is nothing to worry about know
that Git on Ext4 has failed to recover.

My current conclusion:

1. If I want application consistency I have to take down any application
that has an internal database or backup those applications prior to FS
backup.
2. rsnapshot <http://rsnapshot.org/>is a good candidate.  It matches the
way I want to use backup and it is abased on rsync that I am familiar with

I'd like to consider using CCFS, but I have no instructions for that.

Linux FS snapshot seems to be of a temporary nature, because it will grow
over time (it is a diff between snapshot time and current time).  LVM is a
learning curve I have managed to escape so far:

The generic way to make snapshots under Linux is at the level of the
> storage volume. Your filesystem must be on an LVM logical volume
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_Volume_Manager_(Linux)>, which is
> Linux's own partition system, as opposed to directly on a platform-native
> disk partition.

So, my existing installations probably avoids LVM and snapshot is not an
option.