On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 9:06 AM, Greg Wooledge <wool...@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:

> I largely agree with Gene.  The man pages are incredibly silly.  They
> don't tell you how to do the Most Basic Common Thing.  Instead they
> talk about "type s and r addresses" and "a preemptable association
> is mobilized" and "mobilizes a persistent  symmetric-active  mode
> association" and "type b and m addresses" and other such gibberish.

That is one of the ideas behind the info pages. Man pages have always been
technically oriented and are generally very focused. They don't really
offer context. Now, I'm not saying that info pages accomplish this (some
do, some don't), but that was one of the original ideas behind info pages,
is to be more real world and comprehensive. There are trade offs to both
approaches.

You typically get a dichotomy of groups about man pages and documentation
in general. Some people prefer the more technical nature of the man pages,
while others find it frustrating. Can be further exacerbated by the fact
that people tell other people to RTFM, but even reading a man page top to
bottom doesn't help when it actually comes to setting up a piece of
software (as you probably experienced yourself).

In general man pages are more helpful when you already understand the
software in question and are looking for specific information.

Thanks,
Joshua Schaeffer