> On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 11:09:48PM +0100, Otto Wyss wrote:
> > I've installed XDM to get directly into X after starting but XDM doesn't
> > allow for a shutdown. How can this be changed or are there better
> > alternatives to start X without installing Gome or KDE?
> >

> unless you're totally fixated on starting into x, dump xdm, apt-get
> xbase-clients to get hold of startx. there's a whole slew of alternative

That's what I do myself all the time but now I have to install it for a
a novice user I don't want to plague with the console.

> apart from that, what's stopping you from doing an su to root in an
> xterm, and then "shutdown -h now"?

See above. BTW how can I give a normal user the right to shutdown
without the root password?

O. Wyss

--
See "http://wxguide.sourceforge.net/"; for ideas how to design your app.