On Mon 26 Jun 2017 at 08:24:10 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 11:07:13AM +0200, Erwan David wrote:
> > Do you mean that network-manager is compulsory in stretch ? Impossible
> > to use a fixed configuration in /etc/network/interfaces or another
> > connection manager like wicd ?
>
> No, this is not the case.  I've got two stretch desktop systems that
> use /e/n/i and not network-manager.  I have *never* used n-m.
>
> > It would surprise me.
>
> The OP is well intentioned, but is only presenting anecdotal experience
> from one system, without sufficient detail to understand where things
> went wrong.

It is very, very likely nothing went wrong and d-i did exactly what it
is designed to do, but the lack of detail on the installation conditions
makes it difficult to be be 100% certain. Please see later.

> On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 08:33:00PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > The OP is particularly drawing attention to a situation which could
> > possibly occur when *Debian is installed*. Unfortunately, although one
> > of the conditions under which the installation was done (no selection
> > of a DE) is stated, the complete situation is not described. This
> > reduces the usefulness of the suggested fix.
>
> "No DE selected" is not the underlying cause either.  I've installed
> Debian without selecting a DE, many times, on many computers, and I've
> never needed n-m.

"No DE selected" *is* one of the underlying causes. It is not really a
matter of *needing* n-m but of being given it by the installer when a
DE is selected. Please see later.

> Granted, I have never directly installed Stretch yet.  Only Jessie and
> earlier.  My two Stretch systems are upgrades.

If the OP's observations are not due to a bug you would find the Jessie
installer behaving in the same way as described below.

> If I had to guess, I would guess that the OP's system is a laptop, and
> the OP is attempting to use a wireless network of some kind.  There may
> be setups where n-m handles wireless stuff particularly well.

I dislike guessing, myself, especially when extra information is so easy
to supply, but your guess is a good one.

netcfg sets up the network during installation and writes a temporary
/e/n/i stanza. If a user installs a DE and n-m is installed the stanza
is not copied to /target, the assumption being, I suppose, that the user
would want n-m to handle the network. This happens when either a wired
or wireless connection is used to install.

If the user uses a cabled connection but does not select a DE the stanza
is copied to /target.

If a user has a wireless connection but does not select a DE the stanza
is not copied to /target but rewritten to contain loopback only and then
copied over. On first boot there is no external connectivity. Your guess
is as good as mine why a wireless installation is treated differently
from a cabled one. I have never seen any adequate justification for
denying external connectivity in this circumstance.

Sources: netcfg's 55netcfg-copy-config script and its bug record.

--
Brian.